Thursday, January 22, 2009

Addiction-Conviction

When we think about the word addicted, we think cigarettes, alcohol or drugs. The truth is, we are a nation of addiction, to money, power, the newest electronic toy and food! We are a nation addicted to food, greasy and super sized. I recently read a quote stating that if we don't make significant changes, this could be the first generation EVER, to have a shorter lifespan than their parents. Are we going backwards? The progress America has made since the 1950's is astounding. The chain smoking, red meat eating and exercise deprived have been educated. We know what is healthy and what is not. We have miraculous medical research and technology to help us understand healthy lifestyles and how to live them as well as to prevent and treat. So why are our children getting fatter and more unhealthy? Perhaps it's that we've become a generation of excess. And in the pursuit of excess, we have no time to eat healthy or explore the outdoors. We have to have the biggest house, more stuff, and kids are carted from one activity to the next so they're "well rounded" (some pun intended). Mom's and dad's both work. We want better cars, the latest cell phone, designer clothes. What happened to the joy and simplicity of the American dream? The Wonder Years. The simple house with the simple car that dad worked on until it was literally falling apart. Where are the days of nightly family dinners complete with one protein source, a vegetable, starch, glass of milk and hearty helping of bickering siblings?

We are addicted to, "I want it now, I deserve it, give it to me!" Who cares if we have to use a credit card or run the kids through the drive thru or stick them in front of the TV or Wii--whatever is self gratifying and easiest. And I'm not judging! I'm just as guilty as the next mom of sometimes being too tired to cook or crashing onto the couch after a busy day while my daughter sits in front of the TV. But we all have to make some changes so our children can enjoy a full and healthy life and go on to teach their children how to do the same.

Healthy and fresh foods are less expensive than the pre-made, packaged foods. Farmers Markets and organic foods are often cheaper than food at the large grocery store chains. A chicken breast, rice and veggies takes 20 minutes to cook. Salmon fillets with baby red potatoes and fresh asparagus stalks takes 20 minutes to cook. Alaskan Wild Salmon (fresh) has no fishy taste (you can even add a little bit of ketchup), your kids WILL eat it. A few squirts of butter with a dash of garlic salt or a tablespoon of low fat Italian or Caesar dressing makes any vegetable kid friendly. Anyone can find time to take their child to the park for 20 minutes, a couple times a week. And guess what kids do when they don't have TV's to watch and video games to play? They imagine, pretend, write and..gasp...read! We need to take the time to teach our children and love them. We need to give them the chance to grow healthy and strong. Maybe that means less overtime at work, or a station wagon instead of a gas guzzling SUV. I promise you that in the end, your child is going to remember the time their parents spent with them and the healthy lessons taught, not that they had a luxury car or the latest "it" toy.

3 comments:

Lizzie M. said...

I hear ya! And trust me, if I could fit my "crew" into a smaller vehicle I would-I'm frugal to the max! :-)

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm looking at my new computer and new TV and getting frustrated because Wes needs speech therapy and we can't afford it. If I would have delayed gratification, I could have worked it out. Hard lessons to learn!

Jess said...

I think most lessons are hard learned. Darn us humans!