Monday, February 9, 2009

Om-Kas-Toe, Book Review

The Sonlight homeschool curriculum is literary based and fourth grade centers much around Indians. I will admit that in school, I found the Indian Studies kind of boring. Not that I find Indians or their way of life, especially centuries ago, boring. It's amazing how they survived and build civilizations. Heck, I even have some Cherokee in me. I think my problem was rooted in the way the material was presented. I just found it so incredibly dull. Lucy and I are working on the book Om-kas-toe: Blackfeet Twin Captures and Elkdog, written by Kenneth Thomasma. The forward explains that, "without historical fiction" there would be no depiction of the way life was for Indian girls and boys before the 1900's. Before the 1700's, we can only speculate. The author interviewed and received many of his ideas from a 103 year old member of the Blackfeet Tribe.

The story itself is about twins born into the Blackfeet Tribe--a boy and girl. Normally, the girl twin would be left behind to die because it was believed that a mother would not be able to keep up with her responsibilities to the tribe with two babies. She talks the elders into giving her a chance and goes above and beyond in taking care of her chores. The twins can stay. From the start, they bring good luck to the tribe. In order for the tribe members to get food, the fastest runners have to hunt and capture animals. It works, but it's not easy. Then, Twin Boy finds an animal that the Blackfeet people name Elkdog. In reality it's a horse and life in the Blackfeet Tribe will never be the same.

I recommend this book to kids and adults, it's interesting. Children under seven or eight might get a little bored. The reading level is at a third/fourth grade level, maybe second if you have an advanced reader, but younger children might enjoy having it read to them. Young boys will probably be more interested than the girls as it seems to focus on Twin Boy. Twin Girl is part of the story though.

As for me, I've either found an Indian story that I'm really enjoying or I'm growing up and more open to learning new things. Let's split the difference on that one. Did you see that? I'm even learning to compromise more. Sure it's only with myself but it counts!

7 comments:

Tirza said...

Hi Jessica. Sounds like a cool book. So how do you like Sonlight otherwise? Will you stick with it. I think we'll go with it again next year. Hope all is well with you guys!
Tirza

Jess said...

I do really like Sonlight. Not only do I enjoy all the reading but it's not so much that we can't add some of our own lessons into the schedule. I think we'll stick with it! I'm sure Mira's enjoying the reading too:)

Mama V said...

"...I found the Indian Studies kind of boring"...

Ah, but I ask you, Ms. Jessica, do you not remember the very cool and educational Indian homes we each had to build for Miss Floyd's 3rd/4th grade class? Ok, ok, so I remember NOTHING else from what we learned about Native Americans that year, but I DO remember the wigwam, my mom - er, I mean, I - built that year! :)

Jess said...

The only thing I DO NOT want to discuss is the--building a mission-assignment. Let's just say that even years of thereapy could not lesson the pain of that experience:)

Lizzie M. said...

Oh Jess, I totally remember building those in 3rd grade with Ms. London. I loved that.....I guess I never knew you loathed the project!. :-)

Mama V said...

LOL... Oh my gosh. I haven't heard that name in forever!!! I guess I missed out on that project... Ms. London, I remember... but a missions project? Maybe I got to do the wigwam with a 4th grader cuz I was special ;o)

Speaking of Mrs. London (is SHE a tramatic memory? I'd hate to bring her up if she was!)... do either of you remember the Tonga songs she taught us? "Say a little prayer to Jesus when you rise... Keewah keewah bo-gata... keewa keewa keeyahoe..." LOL.... Don't ask me how i remember that one!

Jess said...

Yes, I do remember that song. It was so pretty. I loved Ms. London! She is not a tramatic memory...until she left:( You know Mz. Vanessa, if you're not busy on Saturday around 2PM, Liz is going to be out visiting with her kids and we're having a 9th b-day party for my daughter at my house. If you're interested in coming, go to my website at jessicalennon.com and e-mail me your e-mail address and I'll send you directions. It would be fun to talk more about the "Good ole' days".